If you find stress is getting the best of you, it is time to focus on stress-relieving activities! My patients or clients will often tell me that they cannot take the time to focus on themselves and de-stress. This is an example of an external locus of control way of reasoning, and it will keep you from becoming a Joyful Soul. You can find time to de-stress and problem solve in any AOF™ that is not working for you. Taking care of yourself is your responsibility. Nobody else can do it for you. So be assertive and know that you are worth it. By taking care of yourself, you are being responsible to those who depend on you. Don’t say you can’t. Make it happen.
As I mentioned earlier in discussing relieving anxiety, you know yourself best and what will work for you to counteract stress in your life. However, it may be helpful to you to review some stress relieving activities to get you started:
- Listen to music, a motivational recording, or a relaxation CD.
- Grab some quiet time (meditate, visualize nature and beautiful scenery)
- Actually visit nature and beautiful scenery!
- Focus on self-care (get a massage, haircut, take a bubble bath)
- Get physical (work-out, dance, play a sport)
- Practice patience and serenity (get books on relaxing breathing and progressive relaxation techniques)
- Watch a funny movie
- In addition to practicing these skills and taking time for yourself, remember to spend time reading and contemplating Scripture. Pray, meditate and tap into your spiritual center in order to stay in “perfect peace” (Isaiah 26:3).